Monday, October 27, 2014

My reading life

See You at Harry's


My reading life has improved by a lot. Last year I didn't read at all because my class didn't have us read independently. The only time I read was when we read as a class. This year I've read two books and I'm now working on number three. The first book I read was "See You at Harry's". The second book I read was "If  I stay " and the book I'm currently reading now is "willow".

I've always been slow at reading so I kinda knew I wasn't going to be able to finish a book if I set a goal for myself for when I'd finish it. This year I proved myself wrong because I set a goal for myself to finish "If I stay" in three weeks and I was able to do that. I was also able to finish "see you at Harry's" in three weeks , which is the shortest time I've ever finished a book. I learned that I have the potential to read as many books as I want and I hope to continue this momentum of reaching my goal for reading because I want to grow as a reader. I want to able to read at a faster pace and not like someone's grandma:) . The most difficult book I've read would probably have to be a  another book I'm currently reading for class. "The Glass Castle".

Its a really good book but the difficult thing about it is the vocabulary. The use of vocabulary is a higher level than most books that I read because this book takes me the longest to read. Even if it's one page. To comprehend what the author is saying I use an online dictionary to look things up. This is one of my strategies of reading because it helps me to have a better understanding of what the authors talking about. When I finishes homework I read for half an hour. Sometimes when I get up early in the mornings for band rehearsal I read with the extra minutes of spare time I have while I wait for my dad to get dressed to drive me to school. I take this time to read so I give myself extra pages to put behind me. 

I need to improve how much I read because reading isn't my strong suit. I like writing more than I do reading. I need to keep that practice going because it can improve how fast I read. I need to push myself to read more and not just for school but outside of school too. My goals for the rest of this year is just to keep at reading. Read more and practice reading so that I can get better at it.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you explained yourself, and I also read Willlow it's a really good book.
    Good job, I think you'll be able to finish that third book.
    Yesenia Guerrero

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a cute picture. I think your trailer is interesting. I read that book, and you and I see the theme very differently. I didn't get the dark depression out of it you did. I find that interesting.
    You think about your reading life in an interesting way, too. I'm sad that you put your other homework before reading time. I wish we could change how you think about that.
    4

    ReplyDelete